Malevolent Planet is a text-based game made in Twine using SugarCube. You play as a female adventurer who has always wanted to explore new lands and what better way to do that than explore a new planet? You are a scientist whose task is to investigate a new planet found at the outer edge of the Milky Way and together with your crew, you are on to that task. Many surprises await you now and in the future as well.
In order to play the game, you will need to unzip the archive and open the .html file in a browser, preferably Chrome. You can also play the online version by pressing the button to play now on the left. It'll redirect you to itch. Check my Patreon if you'd like as well.
This is the first public release since v0.0.5, so I'll make the changelogs by comparing the game in its current form to the one you played if you didn't have access to the Patreon builds. A few things I might forget to mention, but you'll see them in the game anyway.
v0.1.1 - 13th September 2020
• Life-Simulator System - Introduced a new system to the game to remove linearity from the story's continuation and to give players more choices in how they want to pursue the new content. After the events of the last version, your character finds herself free to do whatever she wants. If you already finished the linear story or want to jump straight into a Life-Sim style of gameplay, go ahead and press the third link after you customize your character. The page will explain better.
• Skip System that allows you to skip straight to the LifeSim mechanic as mentioned above if you don't have the patience or if you finished the first part already. I put a lot more effort in writing and interactions in the LifeSim part.
• Redesigned the Welcome page.
• Redesigned the sidebar. You now have a navigation bar that allows you to cycle through the relevant menus. Looks to see your character, Stats to see details like time and your character's status bars, Items to see how wealthy you are in a currency called Krona which was designed in-house for the game. This removes a lot of the clutter from v0.0.5, no need to really scroll down anymore.
• Redesigned the Character Creation screen. In addition to v0.0.5, you will have more options such as: Cameltoe Type, Pubic Hair Type, Pubic Hair Color. There is an extra addition to the Body Type as well, thin.
• Added a right sidebar to see the enemy you're fighting and their current status. It'll also be used for NPC interactions and handjob/blowjob sex mechanic.
• Combat System - Introduced a new system that allows you to fight enemies. For now, there is only one enemy for one location, but the next versions will bring more locations and more enemies. A sex mechanic is also being built for sexual scenes like handjobs, blowjobs with the Combat System as reference.
• Maps - For the Life-Simulator system, you can now travel freely to any location by clicking on that location.
• Quests - Introduced a new system that allows you to start and complete quests at your own pace.
• Quests UI for Maps - Introduced an interface for the maps which allows you to see where you should go and if you hover your cursor over that location you will see a tooltip telling you when to visit that area to continue or begin or finish a quest.
• Quests UI Menu - Introduced an interface that shows your currently active quests, together with descriptions of where and when you should go. It serves an identical purpose to the Quests UI, but it's a nice alternative.
• Tutorial Menu - It's a tutorial that occurs after you skip to the life simulator system or after you finish the linear story. It will show you the Quests UI and how to cycle weapons because each of the (for now) two weapons has its special stats which might or might not work for the enemy/enemies you're fighting.
• Animation System - Introduced a new animation system that acts as a gameplay mechanic, but it's only used once right now in a quest.
• Wardrobe UI & System - Introduced a wardrobe in your character's room where she can get dressed. It was redesigned recently, but it didn't even exist in v0.0.5 so it's not worth to mention it separately.
• Events System - Introduced an events system for.. events.
• Credits Menu - I received a lot of help with the development of Malevolent Planet so I made a menu to thank them personally. You can see every person's contributions by hovering over their name.
• Preloading character assets when you start the game, preventing blinking in online versions and even local versions.
• Ship Upgrade System. You won't see any of this yet, it's a mechanic used in combination with the main story and it revolves around you helping your engineer, Alberto, with resources to upgrade parts of the ship. The engine at the next level allows you to travel to a city, and in the level after that interplanetary travel is possible. Other rooms will be upgradeable as well.
• Spent a ton of time on fixing bugs.
• More Character Assets, mentioned in the "Redesigned the Character Creation screen" bulletpoint.
• More digital drawings, every quest has at least one digital drawing. The public version has a few uncensored images in the Shower Event from the Sanitation Room, but all the others are censored and available only for $5+ Patrons.
• Assets for a few enemies and two digital drawings for the first enemy.
• More clothes. (bikini, dress, and more)
• More portraits.
• More backgrounds.
• Icons for the wardrobe clothes.
• An extra 80,000 words over v0.0.5, bringing the game to around 120,000 in v0.1.1.
• Continuation of the story from the events of v0.0.5.
• An event in the Sanitation Room with many choices at every turn, which turn into separate branches. The next version will bring more events in the Sanitation Room, but until then you can replay this one to reach a different ending if you want.
• Four quests. At least one for each crew member.
• Dialogues with your crew members. You can find more about them in these dialogues and also in the quests.
• Dialogues with the human camp people which happen at random times during the day.
• Texts for every location in the game. Many of them will be expanded upon with more content.
• Steadily added more and more content which builds up the lore around upgrading the ship and travelling to another city. Check the "Ship Upgrade System" bulletpoint from the writing section for more info.
Well, that's enough for a changelog right now. I hope you'll like this update. I've worked a lot on Malevolent Planet since the latest public release because finishing university allowed me the time I needed to dedicate myself fully to the game. If you like it, please consider supporting the project. Thank you!
Version 0.0.5– 14 June 2020
Version 0.0.45– 15 April 2020
Version 0.0.4 – 14 April 2020
The last version (v0.0.3) has been exclusive to Patreons due to extensive development. Here are the change notes from it.
The main character is the female protagonist. Other characters are the ones in your crew so far and many more will come soon as you explore more of the planet in future iterations.
Version 0.0.2 – 04 February 2019
UPDATE: fixed typos, corrected the usage of the comma a bit and fixed a mistake caused by the lack of a default expression and it was showing the icon that some image is missing.
Version 0.0.1 – 10 January 2019
Character creation screen that only lacks body types as of now. You can pick the skin color, hair color, eye brow color, bust size and a few others.